Travel in Latvia
- Language: the official language is Latvian. (See my webpage on the Latvian language for more details). Other languages spoken by some inhabitants include Russian (primarily by middle-aged and older people) and English (usually by the younger generation)
- Currency: lats (plural: lati; abbreviation: LVL); for conversion see Latvian Currency Converter.
- Time Zone: GMT/UTC +2 (Eastern Europe Standard Time)
- Electricity: 220V 50Hz; use European plug with two circular metal pins
- Country Dialing Code: 371
Flying to Latvia
There are two international airports in Latvia: Rīga International Airport, and Liepāja International Airport. Since Rīga is the capital city of Latvia, this is the major airport in the country.
FlightsThere are no direct flights between Latvia and North America, Australia or Asia. However, you can fly into Rīga from many airports in Europe, for example: Berlin, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hamburg, Helsinki, Kiev, London, Minsk, Munich, Moscow, Paris, Prague, Stockholm, Tallinn, Vienna, Vilnius, Warsaw, or Zurich.
AirlinesHere are a few of the airlines which fly into Rīga:
Helpful LinksHere are some links that may help you out, if you are planning on travelling to Latvia:
Latvia Tourism webpage. The Official Latvia Toursim portal; information in 12 different languages.
Travel Latvia site. Database of multiple Latvian travel-related sites. In English, German, Latvian, and Russian.
Meeting.lv. Guide to the Baltics. Very useful travel information (see list of links on left-hand side of page). In English and Russian.